Professor, Data Scientist, and Manager at Apple. At Apple I lead and build teams of data scientists focused on the evaluation and design of data intensive products and services. I have deep experience hiring, mentoring, and leading technical teams. As an academic I have developed open source, machine learning based data products, methods for the detection of neighborhoods, algorithms to improve demographic and economic data. I proposed and founded a new corporate office for Apple Maps in Colorado. I’ve received international awards for scientific achievement, innovative business partnerships, leadership, and teaching.
Manager, Data Science Apple Maps (2016-current)
- Led Data Science in Apple Maps Data Evaluation Team.
- Led the development of a Colorado office for Apple Maps.
- Projects with a wide range of technical and business complexity, from field work in foreign countries to machine learning on massive global datasets.
Associate Professor of Geography and Information Science (tenured), Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado Boulder (2015-current)
- Research at the intersection of data science, social science, and maps.
- Author of Urban Analytics, and over 30 articles on mapping and data science.
- Over 50 presentations at major international research conference/colloquia including invited talks at the US National Academy of Science and the Royal Society (UK).
- Multiple awards for teaching and research.
Senior Data Scientist, Apple (2015-2016)
- Developed models for the automated evaluation of Apple Maps products
Assistant Professor of Geography, University of Colorado Boulder (2010-2015)
Associate Director, Adj. Assistant Professor, Brown University (2008-2012)
Postdoc, Renaissance Computing Institute, University of North Carolina (2008)
Cartographer (STEP), US Forest Service (2006-2007)
Adj. Assoc. Research Scientist, Adj. Asst. Professor, GIS Coordinator, Columbia University (2001-2006)
Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Scholar Award, Planning and Development Group, American Association of Geographers.
- American Statistical Association, SPAIG award for partnership between academy and government.
- Director, University of Colorado Spatial Sciences Node of the NSF-Census Research Network.
- Associate Editor, Computers Environment and Urban Systems
- The Michael Breheny Prize for Best Paper in Environment and Planning B
- Social Science History, Founders Award for Best Paper.
- Leadership positions in professional organizations including the Association of American Geographers and the University Consortium for Geographic Information Science.
- Kaggle.com Data Science Competition: First Place, Census Data Visualization Competition
- Member of the Department of Interior, Hurricane Sandy Strategic Sciences Group
- Brown University Community Engaged Scholar Award
- NSF-IGERT Fellowship in Geographic Information Science
- NCGIA-Hugh Calkins Memorial Award in Applied GIS
- Certificate of Recognition from City of New York for 9/11 Emergency Mapping and Data Center
- Columbia University Award for Excellence in Planning Methods and Techniques.